Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Friday, March 19, 2010

They Say Running is Therapeutic.....

I agree tremendously!  During the month of January while I was recovering from my surgery, I couldn't wait to bust out and start running again.  The last day I ran was Christmas morning with Rachel.  That first run February 3rd was such a great moment and humbling too!  In just 5 weeks, I had gone from waddling pretty well 3 miles a day to barely being able to run 3 blocks!  This is horrible! I thought. I signed up for a half marathon that is in 8 weeks and I can't even run a 1/2 mile! I decided I would get my butt in gear and ramp up my mileage so I would be in shape for this next race.  Running also gave me an outlet to escape from this world.  All that came crashing down about 3 weeks ago when I finished a 7 mile run.  My heel hurt.  I had a day of rest the next day and would run again on Monday so I didn't think anything of it.  But when Monday came, my 3 mile run was extremely painful.  That's when it hit me....I had my first running injury.  I was angry to have to take some time off.  Our stationary bike at home helped substitute my cardio, but every runner will tell you that a bike just doesn't do it for a runner when needing to exercise. I tested my heel a week later with a 3 mile run, but the pain was still there.  Even walking was painful.  I decided to see a sports medicine doc.  I made an appointment for the following week.  Meanwhile, I kept biking until, a week ago, my darn bike BROKE!  Now I was really devastated!  What was I supposed to do for cardio!  I'm addicted to cardio!  Finally, Wednesday comes around and I see my doc.  A very easy run/walk the morning prior showed me that I was pain free, but I wanted to make sure nothing was still wrong before I really got back into running.  Dr. King was amazing.  He check not only my feet but my legs, knees, hips and back.  Since I was pain free he cleared me to run....SLOWLY  recover.  So what happened that made me get injured?  I did too much too fast.  The simplest rule a runner is NEVER supposed to break.  I did it because it was my escape, it felt good and helped me get through my day.  Yes, running IS my therapy.

2 comments:

The Ridgway Family said...

Tricia,
You don't know me, but I linked to your blog through the Runners World preggo forum. I am so sorry for your loss and I know exactly how you are feeling. Our third daughter, Eden Grace, was with us for only 4 months when she passed away in July of 08. I know that it is so very difficult and that your heart is so empty and I am sorry. Try not to blame yourself because you did nothing wrong. Give yourself time to grieve your sweet baby's loss. It will take time and it is a long process, but each day will get a little better.

My thoughts are with you,
Keisa

Unknown said...

Tricia,
I lost my daughter to UPD 14 paternal on February 20 this year. She was born at 34 weeks 5 days. She was 16 days old when she died. When I read your post it gave me tremendous comfort, you wrote exactly how I am feeling.
We had no warning of her condition despite multiple ultrasounds and CVS. My husband and I bought a carseat and decorated a nursery, I changed jobs and got my sons ready for a sister. Now we are all in counseling and the room sits empty.
If you ever want to talk to someone who knows exactly what you are going through, my email is carolyn.mcguire@att.net.
Sincerely,
Carolyn