Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Sunday, April 4, 2010

World Vision 13.1 Race

Yesterday, I took part in the Inaugural 13.1 Marathon and 5K benefiting World Vision.  It took place in Flushing Meadows Corona Park- a nice flat and fast course.  Due to my previous heel injury, I dropped from the half marathon to the 5K  Sunny, who is in middle school from church, and Stan signed up for the 5K as well.  This was Sunny's first race. Sunny just started running and had not trained well.  We walked a majority of the race. Per doctor's orders, I was not allowed to run the race for time, so I stuck with her to keep her company.  Kat, Philip, Tracy and Veronica all ran the half marathon.  This was Philip and Veronica's first attempts at this distance.  The weather was nice and sunny. Audrey, a friend of mine ran the half with my timing chip (I was not able to use it in the 5K) and got me a PR of 1:51!  I really hope I can run that time someday soon.  Audrey wore her shirt in memorial of Liz Duncan.  Liz is a friend of ours who was struck by a car and killed while running in April of 2007.  Liz's memorial race took place yesterday as well in Washington State. Ellen ran the half marathon too.  She finished with a PR of 2:06!  Ellen, her boyfriend Charlie, Ping and I all got together afterward for lunch.  Given it's first year of this race, it was well organized and I would definitely do it again.  Here is a picture of Stan, Veronica, Sunny and Philip before the start.  You can view more pictures here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your running shirt Tricia. Congrats on the race! Love, Mom