Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Everyone is asking me....

What kind of diapers are those??

They're gDiapers!!  A hybrid diaper that is really awesome!  The many colors and styles make it easy to get addicted to as well!  When I first thought about what diapers I would put on my child, the question was simple: Cloth or disposable?  I researched cloth diapers and was a little intimidated by the care and how many ways you can care for them now.  There were so many brands and styles to choose from.  Then I thought to myself, what do I want to be doing at the end of my day: washing diapers, or taking out the trash?  For two weeks, my mind was made up: take out the trash.  But I just couldn't shake the fact that it takes 200 years for one disposable diaper to biodegrade completely in a landfill.  It bothered me knowing this.  I looked at cloth again, and read more about care, felt a little more confident doing cloth diapers, but didn't like the idea of using cloth when out and about.  The cost of cloth at home and disposables while out didn't make sense to me.  Then, I discovered the hybrid diaper!  A three part diaper that allows you to do disposable OR cloth!  You have the outer "gpant" that the child wears all day.  This is the fun colorful part.  The waterproof snap in "gliner" that is the barrier to keep the mess contained.  And the insert: either disposable (biodegrades in 30 days, compostable, flushable or trashable) or cloth!  The cloth inserts are to be washed seperately just like any other cloth diaper.  While the liners and gpants can be washed with the baby's clothes. 

So what is my opinion about gDiapers so far?  Now that Erin is 3 weeks old, she is still in her "tiny g's" for newborns and I LOVE THEM!  The biodegradable liner is so absorbant, I've gone up to 3 hours without changing her and probably could have gone longer!   As Erin is approaching 7 pounds, I have found the fit around her legs to be getting snug.  Ping and I decided to try the smalls on her to see if she could fit in them...Nope, she leaked right through, so back into her tiny's she went. 

I then finally had enough cloth inserts to begin completely cloth diapering!  I was so excited!  About an hour later Erin needed a change.  Great!  cloth insert loaded in her tiny g and ready to go on her bum.  The fit was nice and I was environmentally happy.  An hour later....I noticed a leak.  Okay, maybe I didn't put her diaper on right.  With gdiapers it is important that you have the "seal" around the legs otherwise you will get leaks.  I try a second, then a third, fourth....a full day of cloth diapering and ALL of them leaked!!  Now, I was frustrated!  I posted on gdiaper's Facebook page (responses from gdiapers and other "gmoms" are pretty quick there.  That's when I found out that the tiny g's are not meant to be used with the gcloth inserts!  Bummer!  You mean I have to wait until Erin is in her small's to go full on cloth!?!  Something I was never aware of and was not posted on gdiaper's website when I did my research before buying.  My suggestion, hold off on buying the tiny g's until a) you know your baby's weight and b) if you are going to do full on gcloth from the beginning. 

As Erin gets bigger and moves into her smalls, I will let you know more about what I think about gdiapers!  But I love them thus far!

No comments: