Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Race for Others

This March, I will be running a half marathon (13.1 miles) to help raise money for World Vision. Although this is by far not my first half marathon, I'm excited to be doing this race for two reasons:
1) The training has been helping me focus on losing my post-partum weight and getting back into shape.  I only have about 11 pounds of 50 left to go! I need to lose it by mid May since Ping and I will be traveling to Hawaii for our 5 year wedding anniversary.  All I have in my swim suit drawer are bikinis and I gotta look hot in them again.  ("Stretch Mark Central" might have other plans)
2) Most importantly, this is the first race I will be raising funds for.  Out of all the races I've done and the charity opportunities that have gone along with them I have always opted to just pay the registration fee and run the race.  Our church, First Baptist Church of Flushing, has formed a team to raise money for World Vision. I've sent out letters via email asking for support and now have been sent 3 children to find people to sponsor.  If you would like to help support my efforts and the efforts of World Vision, you can make a donation on my donation page.  If you would like to sponsor one of the 3 children that I have here on my desk, you can simply contact me here or leave a comment to this post and I will contact you.
If you look on my donation page, you can see that I am wearing a shirt that says, "Always Running With Rachel Grace."  When I was pregnant with Rachel, I continued to run with my doctor's blessing.  To this day, I still feel Rachel's presence during every run.  I always imagined continuing to run with her after she was born...pushing the jogging stroller and both of us soaking up our surroundings as they whizzed by.  I am saddened that we never had that chance to run together like that, but it is comforting to know that she is still there with me out on the roads and waiting at each finish line, cheering me on.  Now, with Erin in the stroller, I feel Rachel by my side keeping the two of us company.

No comments: